My DirectTV HD DVR stopped working yesterday while I was watching TV. After a call to the 800 number it was decided I needed a new one; a refurbished unit is on its way. Today, for some reason, the thing turned itself on, so I decided Iâ€™d turn on the tv to see if there was a message; It said “Self Check.” I’m thinking “Great. It’s decided to repair itself.” I stepped into another room and a couple minutes later smelled the most noxious smell of burning electrical wiring. The DVR was smoking and the entire room was filled with smoke. I disconnected it and took it outside. OMG! I called DirectTV and they didn’t offer a solution and seemed unconcerned. Could it have caused an electrical fire? Since this has happened to other customers do you think we should contact a consumer protection group and report this potential safety hazard?